– 1 pound extra-lean ground chicken
– 1 tablespoon white vinegar
– 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
– 1 1/2 teaspoons honey
– 1/2 teaspoon hot-pepper sauce
– 2/3 cup chopped yellow onion
– 1/3 cup chopped green bell pepper
– 3/4 cup low-sodium tomato sauce
– 3/4 cup chili sauce
– 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
– 4 whole-grain or wholewheat hamburger buns
Mist a medium nonstick skillet with olive oil spray and set it over medium-high heat. Add the chicken. Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, breaking into large chunks, for 4 to 6 minutes, or until no longer pink.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the vinegar, Worcestershire, honey, and hot-pepper sauce. Whisk to blend. Set aside. Drain off any liquid that has accumulated in the pan. Add the onion, bell pepper, tomato sauce, chili sauce, chili powder, and the reserved vinegar mixture to the pan. Stir to blend. Bring the mixture to a boil then reduce the heat so mixture simmers. Cook for 20 minutes, or until the mixture is thickened.
Spoon the mixture equally onto the opened buns. Serve immediately.
Nutrient Info per serving: (Serves 4) 331 Calories, 31g Protein, 43g Carbohydrate, 4g Fat (less than 1g saturated), 66mg Cholesterol, 5g Fiber, 876mg Sodium.